Monday, March 17, 2008

Books

Do you ever go through stages where you just don't feel like reading? I had one of those stages a recently. However, it has been broken by the force of some captivating trilogies. The first was the series about Josephine Bonaparte by Cullen. These were historical fiction. I loved them! Any learning I can do that is fun is great! The next series was the vampire series by Stephanie Meyer. I know, I know, I may be one of the last females in Utah to read this series. I, like some others I know, thought the subject matter wasn't something I'd be interested in. And still, if you recommended a book on pretty much any supernatural subject, I would decline. (but I'm a sucker for a good romance) I finally gave into these, only because of the many rave reviews. Okay, let me just say....hook, line, sinker. This rivals any book I have ever read as far as captivation (and obsession) goes. I have been reading like a maniac! My poor family and home have been suffering in the neglect area. Its funny how little spare time I seem to have, until I'm engrossed in a book. (I get very ingenious at cutting corners and skipping the unnecessary.)
I am about a third of the way through Eclipse. Although I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these books, I would have to say they are not my favorite books. I have read other books that I like more. However they haven't turned me into a captivated, addicted maniac reader. So my question is, what is it about these books that makes it so hard to put them down? Is it the characters, the story or the style of writing?
I've put a lot of thought into this. For me its a little of all three. I do want to see what is going to happen. She (the writer) is good at pulling you along. But, I think that what has me obsessed is the underlying theme of self discipline. I am in awe of people who have strong self discipline. The intense love, control and discipline some of the characters have is what has pulled me into this story.(and kept me thinking about them after I put the book down) What is it that captivated you? If not in these books, any other book that you have torn through in record time!
P.S. It is also nice to read a book without foul language and sex!

6 comments:

Becky, yep said...

I'm still in a non-reading rut! I too haven't read the Twilight books..maybe this summer!

ps, I tagged you on my blog...it's a fun one, I hope you give it a try!

go boo boo said...

I liked your review and your fresh perspective on why I read all 3 of Meyer's and can't wait for the third. I get the reading blahs after reading good books that I feel won't compare to the next I may start. I felt this way after Josephine and especially after Memoirs (years ago, I know). What tri(s) are you doing this summer? Do you want to do Ogden or Bear Lake with Kate and I?

The Ringleader said...

You are not alone. My reading appetite increased with the writer's strike and hasn't slowed down since. You are not the only one bitten by Twilight. Sorry to pass it on. I think I got sucked in because I could never figure out what was going to happen, but needed to know. It was so 'supernatural' but the author almost made it feel so normal. I am glad to be free...until the fall.

Lisa Cannon said...

I'm not reading right now and I miss it. I started reading Twilight and got about five chapters into it and then I came home from Arizona and haven't picked it up since. I really want to, I'm just busy and need to find time. I need to finish the three before the fourth comes out.

Kristen said...

you already know how i feel. i still think maybe i should give it another chance..i don't know.

Beach Girl said...

Hi Brooke! This is Haley Dawson-Beach, we went to high school together. I link to your blog through Becky and Lisa. I have been reading your blog for a while and have to comment on Twilight. I typically do not read books, however, I LOVE Twilight. I was sick in February and read all three books in 10 days and now am obsessed with them. My poor husband, children, and housework went completely neglected until I finished all three books. It was nice to escape into a fun fantasy world of youth, danger, love, and charming charters. I am anxiously awaiting #4!