Monday, September 24, 2007

Bill Maher


Okay, I don't know how many of you have watched his show before, I try not to, because I HATE HIM!!! Okay, I know, very strong words. Your mom was probably like mine and told you that you should never hate anyone. You especially should never say that you hate anyone. Well, I am disobeying my mom. Because I really hate him. I have to admit that I have never had any sort of fondness for him over his years on tv. But, tonight I find myself disliking him more than ever. In the past my distaste has been for his extreme liberal, hollywood based views. However, tonight he was talking about the presidential candidates. We only watched because we were interested in what he was saying about Mit Romney. (Now, I am not saying that I think Mit is the one for president. I don't even know his politics yet) But, being a mormon from Utah, I naturally am interested in what others think of Mit. Well, Bill Maher had some very maddening ,derogatory things to say! He was making fun of mormons and all christians alike. He was making fun of Mit's "magic underwear" that Romney believes will protect him. He essentially called our religion mystical. He likened us to "Scientology without the celebrities". Maher stated that when going to the polls he would certainly keep Romney's belief in "magical underwear" and Jesus (who he said was the same person as Santa Claus) in mind while voting. Making mormons sound like a buch of mystical lunatics! And that if the viewer didn't feel the same, there was something wrong with them.
Wow, I could not believe what I was hearing! I could not believe he had the nerve to make fun of a religion and essentially all Christians like that! I thought he was tasteless and crass before, but now I despise him even more. I actually feel that I would like to email him! (that is sooo not like me!)
I know I'm raging on and on. I just think that there are already enough bad misconceptions about Latter-Day Saints, that it infuriates me to see someone on national television saying such things. I do not get offended easily, but was offended to my core with his remarks. My love for our Savior and the gospel are so deep. How could his remarks not hurt and offend? What do you think?
P.S. thanks to S for some last minute photoshop work!

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I was wondering about the devil horns..i'm like..where did you find that picture..how perfect. Then i thought maybe Scott had something to do with it! Ooooh I am so glad I didn't watch it. I feel the same as you when I hear people make fun of our church esp when they know NOTHING about it. it is so obvious that he is completely ignorant. Don't hate him! Just feel sorry for him because as we were reading this morning..he will most likely burn in a "lake of fire and brimstone" if he doesn't change his ways. To compare Christ to Santa Claus? How blasphemous!!!

Brooke said...

I was hoping to write this before anyone read my post. I should have slept on it before I blogged. I was thinking this morning (like Kristen wrote) that I really shouldn't hate him. That's not a very Christlike thing to do, right? However, I do dislike him. More, I feel sorry that he has never felt the Holy Ghost or had faith in our Lord. As you know these are life changing experiences. I just need to see him as silly and ignorant and move on with my life and faith.

Tausha said...

Nahhh, go ahead and hate him. Righteous judgement. I don't even know who he is, I have never seen his show. But it makes me sad that as a society we make judgements without all the facts. All of us do it. Maybe our take home message is to not judge others.

go boo boo said...

OOOOh yuck! Great picture. Don't feel bad, you are defending your beliefs and speaking your mind. I am interested in the swap/work out thing. Thanks for thinking of me!