Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bodily Toxins?

Okay, here it goes. I promised a post on body cleansing and here it goes. I've heard a lot about cleansing the inside one's body lately. I'd been debating whether 1) I believed we have toxins stashed away in our bodies. (what "toxins" would these be anyway?)
2) If taking a laxative and some herbs would really clean them out.
3) If I would really feel a difference post cleanse.
It just so happens that my friend (we'll call her "the baker" to protect the innocent), told me that she got a kit and was starting a cleanse. I figured this was my sign. So I decided I would jot on down to the local Wild Oats and check it out. Alas, I decided I would go for it.
For those of you who know me well, I am addicted to sugar! I love to bake and eat all sorts of desserts. I was mainly hoping this cleanse would help me kick my habit and clean out all the toxins baked goods have left behind. Thus helping me with my endurance and performance for some upcoming races I want to do this year.
Well, its been a week. I was expecting quite a bit of uhm...irregularity, due to the fact that this was my first cleansing. The guy at the all famous Wild Oats, told me to go with the "mild" cleansing so it wouldn't be too hard on my body. As my friend so nicely put it ,salad shooter. However, I haven't really noticed any changes. Okay, there is a fiber "stimulant", I need not say more. But, nothing extraordinary! I have to admit I felt a little crappy (no pun intended) the first three days. But my energy has been normal since.
I guess I can't really make rash judgements (about wasting my money) until the whole two weeks are up. But as of right now? I don't feel any different. Maybe I need to be more strict with my diet for it to have stunning results. Maybe I just wasn't that toxic? If anyone has performed a self cleansing before, please tell me about it! I would love to read what you have to say!

10 comments:

Marcie said...

I'm interested to see how this works out for you. We had a pretty heated debate at a family dinner over the validity of "cleansing". It was more about the "put your feet in water" kind though.

Jim's mom's birthday is Sat. and we are taking the boys skiing Friday afternoon. So we are still figuring this weekend out, but I'm thinking Sat. night will probably work out great for us. I'll have Jim call Scott later today.

p.s. What are you doing posting at 2 a.m.?

Lisa Cannon said...

I am very interested in this and have wondered about doing it myself. I had a friend meet with a lady in Draper and went in for a colon cleanse every week and was on a juicing diet. He lost about 30 pounds. I don't want to loose weight, well maybe a few pounds, but mainly want to clean out! I wonder if you did the "stronger" one if it would be more noticeable. Are you coming to dinner tonight?

The Ringleader said...

Ditto on the results. This whole cleanse thing was a crapshoot minus the crap...shooting. Maybe it was too mild. Maybe we need to eat brillo pads, cabbage & laxatives to clean our innards. I don't feel any better, but I definitely felt worse in the beginning. I have been watching for exiting toxins wondering what they look like, and nothing! I quit! I think I'm going back to baking where I get my happy toxins.
Sincerly, "The Baker"

The Ringleader said...

Ditto on the results. This whole cleanse thing was a crapshoot minus the crap...shooting. Maybe it was too mild. Maybe we need to eat brillo pads, cabbage & laxatives to clean our innards. I don't feel any better, but I definitely felt worse in the beginning. I have been watching for exiting toxins wondering what they look like, and nothing! I quit! I think I'm going back to baking where I get my happy toxins.
Sincerly, "The Baker"

Brooke said...

I would maybe go for another cleansing, but I don't think I want to do a stricter diet! I think I could go for the colonic either!

Kristen said...

my mom made everyone in my family do a colonic cleanse when we were young. she was on a health food kick. i was the only one who refused to do it. its supposed to make your eyes turn their "true" shade once you get all the crap out of you. tara will have a hey day with this post because she is so involved in USANA and they are firm believers in the toxins in your bodies and effects they have, etc. i will have her comment.

Amy said...

Hi Brooke! My friend just finished a colonic and claims she found worms! Her friend that did the same colonic and found the same worms too. I personally think it's a scam - I think the pills or drink or whatever it is you ingest contain the worms and then they come out. Whatever it is, it's disgusting and neither of them felt any better after.
Love,
Amy Clegg

go boo boo said...

very interesting, i am reading while drinking a diet coke, nice, talk about toxins. april is so funny!

Tara said...

ok, as Kristen said, I could really give you an earful on this, health and nutrition and toxins is something I have become very passionate about. I really think you would love the Usana cleanse. It's main purpose is to help you to lose your carb and sugar cravings by feeding your body high fiber and low glycemic (the real key) shakes and bars along with fruits and veggies for the first 5 days. I can tell you that I have done it and it really really works. I, too have had a huge sugar/carb addiction in the past. I love this RESET program. I just got back in town from a conference where I listened to many Doctors talk about this very thing. It was amazing. It is a money back gaurantee, so let me know if you want to try it. The shakes taste great...my kids drink them nearly every day. I have at least one every day and it has been the key to me being able to maintain my weight and control my cravings for 2 solid years now. I swear by it.
Kristen has my phone number and my e-mail is tara@laneandtara.com
I would love to help you out. It is fun for me to see people have great results on this! I also have a great audio CD done by a Doctor who uses this "cleanse" in his practice alot if you want me to send you one.

Brooke said...

in my comment, I meant "I DON"T think that I would go for the hycolonic!" I'm all for the oral pill, diet method. But if I don't HAVE to have a tube go you know where, there will not be any sort of tube there!