Sunday, December 30, 2007

Joy to Dread!!!

Now that Christmas is over, I thought it was time to post again. We had a great holiday. I finished my shopping early this year (a first for me), so it was more relaxed and enjoyable than usual. We had a great time hanging out with the family.
We did the usual. We went sledding, saw the lights, rode tracks (my kid's favorite) and went to family parties.
I was pleased with Christmas day itself. My kids loved their presents, of course! The one thing I loved was that I didn't once hear, "I wish I had gotten such and such" or "I asked for this and Santa didn't bring it". I think if I would have heard any of that it would have infuriated me! I guess I just want them to enjoy what they get and be thankful that they get so many great things.
I do have a dilemma for next year. I think I need some ideas. I was having a hard time finding places to hide their presents before Christmas! We live in a small house with minimal storage. Now that my kids are getting older, its getting harder to be sneaky! Please let me know if you have any good ideas!
I need some more suggestions on a different subject. Now that the holidays are over and the coldest, most depressing time of the year is upon us, what can I do to not dread the awfulness of January and February? Its so great to look forward to the fall and the holidays, but that all ends with the stark reality that Jan and Feb SUCK!!!! Okay, I won't complain anymore. But what is fun to look forward to in these months (besides skiing)?

6 comments:

Becky, yep said...

as for the toy hiding, a neighbors house or your parents. It's a little extra effort but you know they won't be discovered! As for the winter blahs, my neighbors have a lunch group. We meet once a week either at a house or we have access to church keys. when it's at the church we do potluck or a recipe swap. It's something to look forward to and it breaks up the week! I'm anxious to read what else comes in as I have the same feelings about the next months as well!
Happy New Year!

Lisa Cannon said...

Storage bins. We hide them in our storage room that we are able to lock with a key. But, I also hide them in storage bins. They never suspect a thing :)

It sounds like you had a great day!

We are going to dinner this Saturday night at the Red Iguana. You and Scott should come! Let me know...

go boo boo said...

I have the same dilemna, I know my kids were so close to figuring it out and peeking in my terribly accessible closet. I like the storage bin idea.

Let's go snowshoeing! I just went for the first time today, I went twice! Up Millcreek and then around Bonneville golf course. It'll get us through January and February. Not to ramble but I am pathetic - Santa brought me a Cyclo-trainer and I haven't even put the bike on it yet! Sad huh? I've been getting exercise from the Wii (totally kidding, sort of, my arm is actually really sore!)

The Ringleader said...

I am glad you had a great holiday. As for the gift hiding, G actually found ours, but I stopped her before she got into the bags. AHHHHH! I think she forgot, because she didn't mention it on the big day.
I agree with the winter blahs! January and February are just gray. Can I come snow shoeing too? How about bring back bookclub? Maybe we could have a lunch day at someones house or something.

Brooke said...

I think snowshoeing sounds great! I also would like to start up book club again. I could also go for a pedicure! Bins sound great. I just need to find the space!

Kristen said...

i am trying to get back into the blogging thing..hiding presents..i took all mine to our neighbors and stashed them in their garage. that probably wouldn't work for you. what about scott's work? i have also done that. i like to have them handy so i can go through them a few times beforehand to make sure everything is even steven and such. also half the time i have forgotten what I've bought. we for SURE need to do a mom's ski day. i will try to head that up. we need to start doing lunch again. i like april's idea of hosting lunch at someone's house. you guys head that up. just hibernate. bake, clean, organize, iron..etc. take the chance to stay home and get caught up on things before summer hits and you want to be outside all the time. there's my two cents worth. now i need to follow my own advice.