Wednesday, July 30, 2008

IDAHO!!!!!





We were long overdue for a weekend out of town. I don't think we'd gone anywhere since last fall. Ugh! Well, we had the wonderful opportunity (thanks to a race I entered) to travel to the lovely Burley, Idaho!!! I had heard it was small, but had no idea what to expect. Upon arrival at our motel our friend Rocky said, "I drove in and instantly remembered why I hate it here." At this point I had not had a chance to explore. Later, upon exploring, I decided there were definitely good and bad points to Burley. Good, the Spudman triathlon they put on is AWESOME! The river is pretty and the motel staff was great. Here is the bad. When checking in we asked the receptionist where we could get some good pasta. She replied, "there's a JB's down the road." I thought, uh oh, that's a bad sign. Needless to say, our dinner stunk!!!! Synopsis, Burley is okay, just don't eat there unless you have some inside scoop on good restaurants we were unable to obtain.
My race was great on Saturday. It was so much fun! I highly recommend swimming in a current to improve your time. It was awesome! Sad note. A man passed away during the race. He started in the group after me, so I had no idea until the race was over. Rumor is that he had a heart attack, but they are doing an autopsy. How devastating. My prayers go out to his family.
After the race we went to Twin Falls. You know, I really enjoyed Twin Falls. We went to Shoshone Falls. They were quite amazing! I'd never heard of them. Apparently they have a greater fall than Niagara, but their span is not as wide. Beautiful. I definitely recommend visiting them if you are in the area. There were some pretty places right in town too. We happened to see some guys base jumping off the bridge in the middle of town. It was impressive, the crazy suckers!
The best thing about our trip is it was Isabelle's birthday!!!! She was stoked to go on vacation for her birthday. For months she would tell people, "I get to go to Idaho for my birthday!" She got to swim, go out to eat (she didn't care that it sucked) and have Wal-Mart cupcakes with strawberry creamies. What eight year old wouldn't be in heaven? She is such a great girl (if I do say so myself)! She is so sweet and such a good helper, especially with her youngest brother. She is having a Hawaiian themed party tomorrow and getting baptized on Saturday. She loves the attention, it is a blast to watch her. I can't believe how the time has flown! Don't blink, right?

7 comments:

Kristen said...

i am glad you got to go out of town. (even if it was to burley) hey..don't knock jb's! we ate their like every sunday growing up. i remember always getting their spaghetti dinner as a kid. my mom always said it made her sabbath day "more holy" to stop and have a nice dinner as a family without the stress of preparing one. we loved it because our church was like 40 min away and we were too hungry to wait. anyway...i am proud of your results of the race. you are my hero! seriously i don't know how you find the discipline that you have but it is very impressive to me. this is a big landmark in your life as a parent..baptism day! i am so sad i can't be there. i feel like i don't even know isabelle very well. it seems like she is never around when i am with you. maybe it's because she is attached to sophie's hip! see you tonight.

Lisa Cannon said...

You guys have been busy! I love Idaho, but I've yet to visit Burley. Great job on the race...what a woman!

Sam and Josh said...

Way to go Brooke. I have thought a triathlon would be fun, but I don't really swim. Next week I am doing the Provo half marathon again and that is really fun.

Becky, yep said...

Wow, Brooke, you are so amazing! I'm glad you got to fulfill one of your dreams!

I love all the pictures in that post...your kids are so sweet!

See you soon...school starts in 24 days!!!!!

Kate said...

Looks like fun... it was great to see you the other day... I haven't been checking out your blog- now it is on my reader (not sure why it wasn't before..hmmm?)

Kristi said...

I found your blog! You are such a rocking athlete, good for you! Isabelle is such a little model. I put a really cute picture of you and your kids at the water park on my blog. You will have to get on there and take it. Take care! Kristi

Jeff and Amy Barlow said...

Hey you! Congrats on your triathalon. Crazy thing...my brother and sister-in-law were in the same race with you! In fact, my sister-in-law and her friend were actually in the group that the poor man drowned. She said it was so dramatic when all these people jumped into the water around them trying to find the man. So sad.

Anyway, you are awesome. I'm so proud of all your running and racing. Once I'm done having my babies...that is my goal. Especially to run a marathon! Wanna do St. George with me one day?

I heard from Samantha Plumhof Holt the other day through blogging. Crazy! She looks as beautiful as always...and she's a runner, too! You guys should hook up.

So fun to keep in touch with you. Your kids are beautiful. Although I can't believe you have one old enough to be baptized! My Garrett will be 6 in November and I can't imagine the day when he'll be old enough to "take the plunge!"

Take care!

Cope