Thursday, November 8, 2007

How Soon Is Too Soon?


I am posing a question. How soon is too soon to start celebrating Christmas? I'm sure that you all have seen Christmas decor, commercials and other merchandise around. How many of you saw it before Halloween? I am the average person who decorates their house after Thanksgiving. However, I heard on the radio that someone had their tree up in September!!! Wow, is all I have to say. No it isn't. Is it just me, or is that ludicrous? But, I can't really think of a reason why this would be wrong. Part of me feels to each his own, but it kind of bugs me. Why? Maybe its because Christmas is so commercialized. Seeing Santa, lights and toys before Halloween just chaps my hide. It seems ridiculous. I guess if Christmas were celebrated more for its true meaning, this early(4 month)celebration would be a good thing. Do we really need Christmas to have the Christmas spirit? Why do people like to start celebrating Christmas so early? If you have any answers to my question, PLEASE, enlighten me!

6 comments:

go boo boo said...

I don't know. But this year I feel like getting my shoppind done now, which will probably lead to even more purchases later, so teh commercialization is working on me. bah humbug!

Kate said...

Our neighbors get the christmas lights put up the first of october (I think they get a deal) I say the day after Thanksgiving is when I really start to start celebrating. I am not one to shop for Christmas all through the year... On 106.5 fm it is all christmas music... I like to go over sometimes- but sometimes I think it is all too early... But it is never too early to think about the Birth of Christ.

The Ringleader said...

I loooove Christmas music, but I still can't go there yet. It feels like they start the Christmas maddness earlier and earlier every year. Try watching cartoons with your kids. There are more toy cartoons than shows. I totally remember watching tv with a post it pad when I was little, because there were so many fabulous toys I wanted to remind Santa about. AHHHHHH it's too much. But like Annette, I am inspired to get my shopping done early. Then I can just enjoy the season.

Brooke said...

I am all for getting my shopping done early. That is my goal this year so that I can actually enjoy December and focus on the true meaning of Christmas rather than stress!!! I totally understand getting the shopping done early. Like you all said, its the music and the decorations going up so early that gets to me!

Kristen said...

i'd like to know what else really "chaps your hide!"

Tausha said...

Okay, Christmas music gives me anxiety. I beginning to dislike christmas, which is sad. Maybe we should switch it to only every other year. What do you think? I love the Christmas spirit but I can't handle everything else that goes with it. I just want to enjoy the holiday.